IThell.com - Where IT Professionals Vent!
When your daily adventures in Information Technology arenít quite the heavenly experiences you desire, itís time to join us in IThell.
Whatís New at IThell.com
- Low-cost desktop showdown - April 25, 2001
- Letís look at two desktops from Dell and a custom system from Monarch Computer
- Appleís new lineup - February 22, 2001
- Apple debuts new iMacs and Cubes - Is Apple giving customers what they want at the right price or are they systematically
targeting the least informed computer users and ripping them off?
- Problems with the Abit KT7 Motherboards - February 12, 2001
- Two different sources have indicated that all may not be perfect with the Abit KT7 motherboards
- Recommended Corporate Desktop Systems - February 2, 2001
- This is the fourth iteration of our monthly round-up of corporate desktop systems. Click here to see our recommended systems for corporate
- Even More Forums - January 30, 2001
- IThell.com readers and participants have asked for even more forums and we have delivered. Post your rant in the new ďWhat bothers you today?Ē
forum in Venting Free for All! Also, post your Best Practices recommendations in the new Policies and Best Practices section.
- IThell.com Forums Launched - January 27, 2001
- If you have topics you would like to see in the new Forums or would like to be a Forum moderator on a particular topic, please e-mail me at eric@IThell.com. Over the next few weeks we will completely integrate the forums into the flow of articles for instant feedback. For now, signup and begin venting! - Thanks
go out to everyone who has participated in the testing.
- Apple moves strongly into 2001 - January 10, 2001
- When you listen to Steve Jobs you canít help but believe in the Apple dream
- Letter - January 4, 2001
- Andrew Moffitt comments and gives advice about navigating Dell support.
- The Dell support time sink - January 2, 2001
- It is a process filled with a myriad of time consuming hoops an IT professional must jump through before finally receiving the support they need
- Letter - December 21, 2000
- Jeremy Hoff adds to the discussion about local integrators vs. Dell. Thanks to everyone who is participating in this discussion,
everyoneís thoughts have been very interesting.
- Letter - December 19, 2000
- Andrew Moffitt responds to the December 6 discussion between Lew Stead and Eric regarding custom systems and the purchases from a
major computer manufacturer like Dell or Gateway.
- Letter - December 12, 2000
- John Welter is concerned about the recommended engineering systems.
He brings up some excellent points that will be incorporated into the next Engineering System recommendation.
- Letter - December 6, 2000
- Long time reader, Lew Stead, points out some important points to consider when IT purchases computers. Donít miss this letter and
- Engineering Desktop Systems - November 26, 2000
- There are three flavors of these high performance systems, with only one difference - the graphics subsystem.
- Overclocking Tutorial Part 3 - November 20, 2000
- Our partners at AMDWORLD are running a seriew of Overclocking tutorials. Here is the third and final installment.
- Recommended Corporate Desktop Systems - November 17, 2000
- This is our monthly round-up of corporate desktop systems. Click here to see our recommended systems for corporate desktop computing.
- Letter - November 14, 2000
- Jonathan Dale inquiries about the Sample Software Policy on IThell.com and whether the punishments outlined in the policy are actually extracted from the US Copyright Act.
- Letter - November 13, 2000
- Peter Cooke asks about a Linux issue and our new Contributing Editor, Jonathan Ungar, provides some very good insight and
hopefully a fix.
- What happens when vendors post misleading system
requirements? - November 10, 2000
- Misinformation about system requirements causes nothing but grief.
- Letter - November 9, 2000
- Jeremy gives Bill Vera and other folks working for non-profits some excellent advice and resources to help them do their jobs
- The next four years - November 7, 2000
- What do we have in store for you at IThell.com
- Overclocking Tutorial Part 2 - November 7, 2000
- Our partners at AMDWORLD are running a seriew of Overclocking tutorials. Here is the second installment.
- What to do when thereís too much work? - November 6, 2000
- Strategies for the harried IT manager, worker or peon
- Council of Europe Cybercrime Treaty Analysis - November 2, 2000
- If adopted, will its vague nature trample on your civil rights or protect you from villains on the net?
- Letter - November 1, 2000
- Colin Young sends IThell.com some Fanmail and looks forward to joining us in IThell upon graduation from College.
- Letter - November 1, 2000
- Kent needs help with configuring a high-end desktop computer for multimedia and business. IThell.com attempts to create a
high-performance system that fits into his budget.
- Letter - October 30, 2000
- Bill Vera is faced with an overwhelming workload all by himself: 145 users growing to 175 with only one person in IT. Iím hoping
that my advice will be helpful to him and to other IThell.com readers in the same situation.
- Letter - October 27, 2000
- Nicholas Corona talks about his history with AMD systems and his reasons for being a loyal AMD customer.
- Co-browsing: customer support for your web enabled application - October 26, 2000
- In a crowded CRM field with many doing (or saying they are doing) co-browsing, there is one company that stands out from the rest, Hipbone, Inc.
- Letter - October 26, 2000
- CRM (customer relationship management) isnít a bad word...or series of words - October 25, 2000
- Frankly, there are some companies out there that make good products that will make our lives easier. Here is the first IThell.com Halo Award
winner....and tomorrow weíll look at two other standout products.
- Letter - October 23, 2000
- Ryan Pringnitz strongly disagrees with my comments about AMDís processors and Intelís past year of problems. He also expresses
concerns about my hating Intel.
- Overclocking Tutorial Part 1 - October 22, 2000
- Our partners at AMDWORLD are running a seriew of Overclocking tutorials. Here is the first installment.
- Letter - October 21, 2000
- Letter - October 20, 2000
- C. Masters comments on his AMD system and some recent remarks by Intel.
- Engineering Desktop Systems - October 19, 2000
- The configurations you have been waiting for - There are three flavors of these high performance systems, with only one
difference - the graphics subsystem.
- Letter - October 19, 2000
- Letter - October 18, 2000
- In response to the 2U Rackmount Server review, Andrew Moffitt brings up some excellent points in favor of name brand, fully warrantied servers.
- 2U Rackmount Servers (part 2) - October 17, 2000
- This is the second installment of the 2U Rackmount Server evaluation. Check out the new dual processor configurations and compare
them to the single processor solutions you read about yesterday.
- Recommended Corporate Desktop Systems - October 17, 2000
- New October Configurations! This is our monthly round-up of corporate desktop systems. Click here to see our recommended systems
for corporate desktop computing.
- 2U Rackmount Servers (part 1) - October 16, 2000
- Rack space is always a premium commodity in your corporate server room and Internet colocation facility. Here are some good
options to take advantage of that limited space. The first part of this article deals with single processor servers, tomorrow we will continue with dual processor servers.
- Letter - October 15, 2000 (2nd Rev)
- Ivon Murishwar comments on his struggles with implementing AMD systems over the years at his company.
- Letter - October 15, 2000
- Victor Khong mentions that I still havenít reviewed ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro....and I reiterate my feeble excuses.
- AMD drops the price of their 1GHz+ Athlons - October 14, 2000
- AMD has decided to put some pressure on Intel with new, aggressive pricing and has moved up the introduction of their newest
processor, the 1.2GHz Athlon.
- Dell recalls batteries and charges $99 for a $29 keyboard - October 13, 2000
- Until this morning, this article was going to be about Dellís $99 keyboard that should really be $29, but in light of the 27,000 battery recall
just announced, this little price discrepency is almost insignificant.
- Corporations slow to adopt the Athlon - October 12, 2000
- Should corporations stick to the Intel bandwagon?
- Multiprocessor AMD - October 10, 2000
- AMD demonstrates a multiprocessor system at the Microprocessor Forum
- Recommended Monitor for Corporate America - October 9, 2000
- The 19Ē KDS AV-195TF with a Sony Trinitron tube for $405. At this price, what corporation will ever buy a 17Ē monitor again?
- Letter - Part 1 and Letter - Part 2 - October 5, 2000
- Jud Kiemele and Eric Svetcov discuss the scalibility of internet destinations and the potential of an entity like AOL to scale up
to 100 Million users or even 1 Billion users.
- Oracle Pricing Antics - October 4, 2000
- Oracle OpenWorld is in full swing - Now, would someone do something about Oracleís pricing model?
- Intel: Over promise, under deliver (revisited) - October 3, 2000
- Intel: Over promise, under deliver (revisited) - Now with a little more information on the P4 slip and canceling of Timna.
- Letter - October 2, 2000
- Terry Farnham follows-up with some information and a link to a site that has done performance testing on DSL and Cable
connectivity to the Internet.
- Letter - October 1, 2000
- Terry Farnham comments on the performance guarantees of PacBell DSL that @Home does not match.
- Letter - September 30, 2000
- Kris Maerke comments on the Low Cost Server article and identifies a terrific new motherboard that appears quite superior to the
- Letter - September 29, 2000
- Brian Bedingfield reminds us of AMD processors of the past that demonstrate that the stability of todayís Athlons and Durons is
- Intel: Over promise, under deliver - September 29, 2000
- Intel is being pressed by a competitor in the processor business for the first time in years. Is the pressure getting to them?
- Letters - September 28, 2000
- Brian Meverden & John Sauter comment about home office firewalls.
- Letter - September 27, 2000
- Obin Robinson has two big thumbs up for AMD systems in the workplace. Long-term stability is the major reason he is an AMD fan.
- Letters - September 26, 2000
- Two enthusiastic IThell.com readers request a review of ZoneAlarm
- Cleaning up someone elseís mess - September 25, 2000
- What you do early in your career at a new company is critical for your long term success.
- November Elections - September 24, 2000
- Are there issues that all IT Professionals can agree on?
- Is it OK for musicians to profit from their labor? - September 23, 2000
- For now itís musicians having their products ďtradedĒ, but when will it be software developers and others?
Chronological Archive of Previous IThell.com articles.